De Bosset Causeway
This stone bridge with a dominant stone obelisk built as early as in 1813 by the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe de Bosset connects the town of Argostoli and Cephalonian dry land on the opposite side till nowadays. The original wooden construction was replaced by stone in 1842, and the bridge was enlarged and made stronger at the same time. Nonetheless, after a devastating earthquake in 1953, one third of it collapsed and this impressive monument had to be restored. In 2004, the bridge was closed once again as the heavy traffic was exceeding its capacity, and after the necessary adjustments, it was reopened but with some restrictions like weight limit for the vehicles and one-way traffic only. Thanks to the existence of this bridge, the Koutavos lagoon has emerged nearby, becoming home of bird species and turtles.